Prevention has always been the best remedy for any kind of ailment or infection. The same goes with toenail fungus especially since these infections are one of the most stubborn types to get rid of! Applying treatment immediately is critical to keep nail fungus infections from becoming entrenched and a lifelong hassle.
Anybody can catch nail fungus. Excessive sweating on your feet and hands, defects in the nails and people with reduced immune system are susceptible to nail fungus infections. However, it does not mean that you have an immune system problem if you develop a nail fungus infection. It is contagious and should be treated as soon as it appears. But do not fret, nail fungal infections are definitely treatable. Here are some preventive measures to take in order to avoid catching nail fungus in the first place:
– ALWAYS wear protective shoes or slippers when you use public facilities such as gym showers, locker rooms and swimming pools. People use these facilities and you never know if someone infected has just used the shower stall you are using. Remember nail fungus is very contagious.
– Keep your nails clean, short and dry. Trim your nails regularly and in a straight line. Dry your hands and feet thoroughly after bathing especially in between your fingers and toes. Fungi growth occurs mostly on damp areas.
– Use topical anti-
– Wash your feet regularly and dry them well. Do NOT use nail polish to cover up an existing nail fungus infection. It may look nice but it can trap the moisture and fungus in your nails and make it worse.
– Go to a reputable pedicure and manicure salon. Make sure that they sterilize their instruments after every customer. Or you can bring your own just make sure you sterilize them as well even if you are the only one using it. It will keep fungal growth at bay.
– Wash your hands after touching or putting medication on an infected nail. It can infect the other nails on your hands.
– Don’t pick at the skin around your nails or pluck “hangnails” off of them. This might cause the skin to break and give access to germs and fungi.
Lastly, we always suggest that you see a medical professional at the first symptoms of nail fungal infection. The earlier it is treated the better it is for you. One of our favorite topical solutions can be learned about by watching this video on toenail fungus treatment. Thanks!
– Eat a well balanced diet to keep your immune system healthy. It will help you fight bacteria, viruses and germs that can cause nail fungus.